Two (2) Labourer/Equipment Operators (Summer Seasonal)
The successful applicant will operate various construction equipment and hand tools in the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges.
Reporting to the Foreman, the successful applicant will operate various construction equipment and hand tools in the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges for the County of Dufferin road network.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Road maintenance duties which include:
- Hardtop maintenance (pothole patching, sweeping gravel, etc.)
- Roadside work such as shoulder graveling, ditch cleanout and culvert replacement
- Respond to emergency calls received from police, etc.
- Operate dump truck, tractor mower, backhoe, loader, and other road maintenance equipment
- Operation of brushing equipment (chain saw, chipper)
- Hand digging, for locates and installing road signs
- Performing specific assigned duties in connection with roads construction done by the County.
- Setting up traffic control and acting as a traffic control person during road construction and maintenance activities.
- Assist with repairing and maintaining equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred qualifications are as follows:
- Grade 12 diploma.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in operation of tandem axel dump truck
- Experience operating loader, backhoe, towing a tag-along float and other construction equipment is an asset
- Experience in the methods of road construction and road maintenance.
- Knowledge of the Maintenance Standards and Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Must have a valid Ontario DZ drivers’ license and clean drivers abstract. AZ drivers’ license is preferred.
- Comfortable using computers to perform tasks such as entering time and checking the weather.
- Able to complete record keeping documentation.
- Tandem dump truck, loader, backhoe, excavator, grader, tractor with sweeper, mower, water truck, chainsaw, wood chipper, and hand tools.
The salary range for this position is $25.38 - $29.70 per hour (Grade 4 on the 2019 Salary Grid) and is based on a 40 work week.