Building Services

Dufferin County provides building services for the following Municipalities: Amaranth, East Garafraxa, Grand Valley, Melancthon, Mono, Mulmur, and Shelburne. 

If you are constructing or demolishing in the Town of Orangeville, please visit their website.

For zoning information, please reach out to your local Town/Township. Click here for contact information.

drill and blueprints


Are you planning on increasing your outdoor living space by building a deck?

Hurricane Clip Rebate Program

Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction Logo

In partnership with the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction, Dufferin County is offering a rebate incentive to property owners or builders in Amaranth, East Garafraxa, Grand Valley, Melancthon, Mono, Mulmur, and Shelburne who install hurricane clips during construction on all new buildings, additions, or renovations.


Orders are issued by Dufferin County as outlined in the Ontario Building Code Act to ensure that all buildings are constructed safely, to Code standards, and have inspections completed at each phase of construction.

Orders may also be registered in the proper land registry office or viewed by the public at Dufferin County Building Services.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a building permit?

    A building permit is a document issued under the Ontario Building Code Act by the Dufferin County building services division, on behalf of the following municipalities: Amaranth, East Garafraxa, Grand Valley, Melancthon, Mono, Mulmur, and Shelburne.

    Permit Applications



  • When is a building permit required?

    The Building Code Act requires that a Building Permit be obtained for the construction of:

    • Any structure occupying an area greater than 10 meters squared consisting of a wall, roof and floor or a structural system serving the function thereof including all plumbing, works, fixtures, and service systems.
    • A structure occupying an area of 10 meters squared or less that contains plumbing.
    • Plumbing not located in a structure.
    • A sewage disposal system
    • Structures designated in the building code.



    Examples of projects requiring building permits are (but not limited to):

    • Any detached building having a building area of more than 10 meters squared (108 square feet)
    • Any addition to an existing building
    • Any structural alterations – for example: add or remove a structural wall, add a new window or door; alter the size of an existing window or door, repair fire damage, or replace roof structure, etc.
    • Detached or attached garages, carports, sheds or accessory buildings
    • Decks, porches, sunrooms and solariums
    • Creating an apartment or in-law suite
    • Finishing a basement or adding a basement entrance
    • Moving or raising an existing building
    • Roof mounted solar panels
    • Replacing or moving furnace and ductwork
    • Completing a rough-in bathroom or washroom
    • Adding or relocating a bathroom or washroom
    • Installing or altering plumbing and/or drains
    • Installing a solid fuel burning fireplace or wood stove
    • Installing, altering or repairing an on-site sewage disposal system (septic system)
    • Installing wall mounted signs, pylon signs or billboards
    • Changing the use of a building
    • Demolishing a building





      • When is a building permit NOT required?

        To confirm that a Building Permit is not required for your specific project, always call your local municipality and the Dufferin County Building Services Division before starting any construction project.

        Permits are generally NOT required for:

        • Detached structures not greater than 10 meters squared (108 square feet) that do not contain plumbing
        • Air conditioning units added to existing forced-air systems
        • Replacing existing furnaces
        • Replacing roof shingles or eave troughs
        • Replacing doors or windows (provided there are no changes in size)
        • Replacing siding (provided there are no structural changes)
        • Fences (other than for swimming pools in which case a pool fence permit is required)
        • Replacing kitchen or bathroom cupboards (provided there are no plumbing alterations)
        • Damp proofing basements
        • Floor or ceiling finishes
        • Retaining walls not greater than 1m in height
        • Landscaping
        • Painting, decorating or general maintenance.
      • Why do I need approval from my municipality prior to applying for a building permit at the County?

        Each local municipality served by Dufferin County Building Services maintains their own Zoning By-Laws and Official Plans.  Before starting any construction project you must contact the Planning Department of your local municipality to ensure that your project complies with your municipality’s zoning and permitted uses.  These include (but are not limited to) building side yards and setbacks, height restrictions, lot coverage, etc.

        The Municipal Approval includes:

        • Property Information – Roll number, address, legal description
        • Owner/Applicant Information – Name, address
        • Type of Structure
        • Zoning of Property
        • If Site Plan Approval is Required
        • If Niagara Escarpment Commission or Conservation Authority Approval is Required
        • Entrance Requirements
        • If Development Charges are Applicable and Paid
        • Any other concerns, restrictions or requirements
      • What is a Municipal Approval?

        The first step in the Building Permit Application process is to visit the Planning Department of your local municipality to discuss the details of your proposed building project.  Once the project has been approved, you will be provided with a written Municipal Approval

        The Municipal Approval provides detailed information about your project to ensure that you are complying with all of the zoning requirements and/or restrictions set out by the Municipality.

        Once you have received municipal approval from your local Town/Township, bring your complete application package to the Dufferin County Building Services desk.

      Contact Building Services

      519.941.2816 x 2700

      55 Zina Street, Orangeville ON, L9W 1E5

      Monday through Friday
      8:30 am - 4:30 pm